If you suffer from chronic sinusitis, chances are you have heard of balloon sinuplasty. However, what exactly is balloon sinuplasty, and who needs it? Here's a closer look at the basics of balloon sinuplasty and why patients may seek out this minimally-invasive procedure.
What Is Chronic Sinusitis?
Chronic sinusitis is a condition that causes long-term inflammation of the sinuses. It can lead to symptoms such as congestion, facial pressure, and pain. If left untreated, it can lead to serious complications such as infections or even loss of vision in severe cases.
What Is Balloon Sinuplasty?
Balloon sinuplasty is a surgical procedure used to treat chronic sinusitis. During the procedure, a small, flexible tube with a tiny balloon at its tip is inserted into the nose through a nostril. The balloon is then inflated to open the blocked passages in the nasal cavities and allow normal drainage to resume. No incisions are made, so there's no need for general anesthesia. Instead, local anesthetic or mild sedation is usually used.
Who Needs Balloon Sinuplasty?
Patients who suffer from chronic sinusitis often find that prescription medicine only provides limited relief for their symptoms. If your doctor has diagnosed you with chronic sinusitis and medications haven't been able to alleviate your symptoms, you may want to consider having a balloon sinuplasty. This procedure is beneficial if you're unable or unwilling to undergo more extensive surgery, such as endoscopic sinus surgery (ESS).
What Are the Benefits of Balloon Sinuplasty?
There are many benefits to choosing balloon sinuplasty, including:
- Minimally invasive. The biggest benefit of balloon sinuplasty is that it's minimally invasive and doesn't require incisions or general anesthesia, like ESS does, meaning recovery time is much faster.
- Less risk. Additionally, since no tissue or bone is removed during the procedure, there's less risk of complications after surgery.
- Easier recovery. Most patients experience minimal discomfort after the procedure and can often resume normal activities shortly afterward.
- Long-term relief. Studies have shown that balloon sinuplasty can provide long-term relief from chronic sinusitis symptoms.
- No scarring. Finally, because there are no incisions involved in balloon sinuplasty, you will not have any scars on your nose or face.
Balloon sinuplasty is an effective treatment for chronic sinusitis, with many patients experiencing improved symptoms within days after the procedure.
Balloon sinuplasty offers many advantages over traditional open surgeries for patients suffering from chronic sinusitis. If you're looking for an effective way to treat your chronic sinusitis without undergoing major surgery, talk to your doctor about whether balloon sinuplasty might be right for you.